As a country of rich diversity and boundless opportunity, millions of people travel to the United States every year for the purposes of work, study, and tourism. Visas are required even for temporary travel to the country, however, and the application process can be long and complex. Seeking guidance from a Chicago temporary visa attorney can help ensure that your application is completed successfully and that all requirements are met. For more information, consider contacting our office at (312) 972-7979 today. 

What is a Temporary Visa?

A temporary visa, also known as a nonimmigrant visa, allows a person to enter the United States for a specified amount of time. Under this visa, the person must have a specific purpose for being in the United States and must also have a clear departure date. The specific purpose for entry may be one of the following:

  • Tourism
  • Medical procedures
  • Business
  • Specific work
  • Study

It should be noted that temporary visas are limited to a certain time frame. They are not designed for people who wish to immigrate to the United States permanently to live and work. If you wish to remain in the United States permanently, a Green Card is necessary. A Chicago non-immigrant visa attorney can help you understand these differences and pursue the proper visa for your case. 

Types of Temporary Visas

There are numerous types of temporary visas that a person can receive based on the circumstances of their travel to the United States. At JLB Law Group, we pride ourselves on offering a wide range of services to fit the individual needs of our clients. We understand that while your travel to the United States is valid and necessary, the immigration process can feel extraordinarily difficult to navigate. For this reason, we have helped countless individuals apply and obtain temporary visas for their travel. Some of the most common visa types include the following. 

Student Visas

The United States is home to some of the most prestigious educational institutions in the world, and with so many study programs accepting international students every year, this visa option is prominent. The two visa options for students are the F-1 and J-1 visas. 

The F-1 visa is for students enrolled in full-time programs at accredited institutions within the United States. The accredited institution can be a university, high school, seminary, or conservatory. On this visa, it is possible to hold on-campus employment. Under the F visa umbrella, there are also options for the dependents of F-1 visa holders and individuals who commute to the United States from Mexico or Canada for study.   

The J-1 exchange visitor visa is available to individuals who are participating in work or study-based exchange programs. This can include teachers, au-pairs, research scholars, or interns, to name a few. As long as the person is promoting cultural exchange and the eligibility criteria is met, this visa option may be available. A Chicago temporary visa attorney can help you navigate student visas in the United States. 

Visitor Visas

The visitor visa is designed for individuals who are coming to the United States to fulfill a business obligation or for tourism purposes. The B visas (B-1 and B-2) are the appropriate visa categories for visitors, and upon entry one may be granted up to a six month stay. After that time, the visitor may apply for an extension in some cases. 

The B-1 visa is designed for business purposes, specifically:

  • Consulting with business associates
  • Attending a scientific, educational, or professional conference or business convention
  • Settling an estate
  • Negotiating a contract

The B-2 visa, on the other hand, is appropriate for individuals who are traveling to the United States for the purpose of tourism. This can include visiting friends or family, vacationing or for holiday, obtaining medical treatment, or participating in an event that does not result in compensation. The application process for visitor visas can be complicated and working with a Chicago non-immigrant visa attorney can help ensure that you receive your visa as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Employment-Based Temporary Visas

Temporary non-immigrant visas are available to individuals who wish to work in the United States for a fixed amount of time. In these cases, the employer is required to file a petition with United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS). Some of the most common types of temporary employment visas include: 

  • H visas (H-1, H-2, and H-3). These are for skilled workers with undergraduate degrees or other workers who are filling positions for which there are no American workers.
  • L visas (L-1A and L-1B). These visas are available to workers who are transferring in a company or business that has an office within the United States. 
  • E visas (E-1, E-2, and E-3). This is an option for treaty traders and investors who are coming to the United States to facilitate business between the U.S. and their home country. 
  • O visas (O-1A, O-1B, O-2, and O-3). These options are for individuals with extraordinary ability or achievement in the sciences, arts, business, education, or athletics, and the individuals who will assist them in their event or performance. 
  • P visas (P1-A, P-1B, P-2, and P-3). These visas are for internationally recognized athletes, members of recognized entertainment groups, and other specific artists and entertainers.
  • R visas (R-1 and R-2). This visa option is for non-immigrant religious workers who are working as a minister or other religious vocation.

How Do I Get a Temporary Visa?

All temporary visa applicants are required to apply for their visa outside of the United States, at a U.S. embassy or consulate. The one exception to this rule is individuals who are utilizing the Visa Waiver Program, which allows travelers of participating countries to come to the United States for less than 90 days without obtaining a visa. A Chicago non-immigrant visa attorney can help you determine eligibility and navigate the Visa Waiver Program.

The Form DS–160 is necessary to apply for all temporary visas. This is a complicated form, requiring detailed information and full answers to all questions. The applicant will be required to pay a fee when they submit the Form DS-160. Once the application has been processed, the individual will be asked to schedule an interview, during which specific documentation will be reviewed. After the interview, the person will continue to wait for their application to be processed and for a decision to be made. In some cases, further documents or evidence will be required. 

Why Should I Hire A Temporary Visa Attorney Rather Than Apply On My Own?

The prospect of gaining a visitor visa can be an exciting one! It can also be something that is important for a specific time period; therefore, mistakes or delay could be costly to your overall plans of visiting the United States. Having an experienced attorney who understands the temporary visa process can help lower the likelihood of unforeseen challenges along the way and help you have a more seamless application experience. 

Speak with a Chicago Temporary Visa Attorney Today at the Law Office of Jennifer L. Bennett

Navigating the United States immigration system is far from straightforward. Between strict eligibility requirements and complicated paperwork, it is easy to fall into the common pitfalls that result in delays and denials of non-immigrant visas every day. At the Law Office of Jennifer L. Bennett, we help individuals successfully obtain temporary visas to the United States. To begin the process, consider contacting an experienced Chicago non-immigrant visa attorney today at (312) 972-7979.